Today tutorial I will write about How to Create Kali Linux Virtual Machine in Virtual Box, actually its not just for Kali Linux but also it can be applied for other OS.
For you who still not familiar with virtual machine, here's the definition from wikipedia:
A virtual machine (VM) is a software implementation of a machine (i.e. a computer) that executes programs like a physical machine.
So in other words it's an application that helps your hardware(computer) to have more than 1 OS in one single computer.
1. Download the Virtual Box from link above and install it (just a few "next" clicks ).
2. Open your Virtual Box application and click the new button.
3. The next step, you need to name your new Operating System. To make you easier to remember this OS, it's good if we just put the OS name in it.
for the type, you can choose it whether Linux or Windows or others. In this case I will install Kali Linux. For the version, this is the Linux kernel version, most of Linux distro use kernel 2.6. If you don't know, just leave it with Linux 2.6.
When finished, click Next.
4. The next page it show the memory allocation size. The memory size you set here is depend with your Operating System you want to install. for example if you install Windows 7, maybe the memory you need to put it 1GB.
In the picture above I put 512 because I don't want my virtual machine too slow when I access it.
When you finish, just click Next.
5. The next step is Create virtual machine hard drive. Just leave it default that Virtual Box will help us to create the new virtual hard drive.
the option "use an existing virtual hard drive file" you can use it to load your existing .vdi file, the consept is same like you load a file, but now you load a virtual hard drive and its settings.
Click create when you finished.